Friday, February 26, 2016

Pathos in I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free

This lovely song by Nina Simone expresses the freedom desired by the the African American Race. It wasn't that people didn't have rights or were enslaved, but it's that there was discrimination and unequal rights. The use of wish instead of something such as want shows that this wish is something that may be hard to attain. This is very representative of how African Americans felt in their pursuit of being treated equally. It is the same way that Martin Luther King used the phrase "I have a dream" in his speech of his dream to have equal rights for all people. Today, I feel as though people speak about the different minority issues. It seems as though instead of issues coming to a halt, they seem to be increasing. This pushes the desire to be equal further away.  If the song was listened to, today, I believe it would have the same effect it did in the past. It would make people feel saddened and maybe even raise confusion of why it is so difficult for everyone to be treated equally. That feeling would push people even harder towards their goal of actually ttaining equal treatment.
-Kumam B. Khasar

5 comments:

  1. I feel like people today have began turning their sadness into rage with a spirit of retaliation. The reason why I say this is because I believe people are now fed up due to the confusion of why we, as the black community, are still incapable of achieving full equal status with no strings of attached. There is more anger now than ever before now that the black community realizes the power that it has; and, if the mistreatment continues, it will have a negative effect on society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, if you listen to this song the appeal to pathos is strong. Her lyrics are sad yet the musical tone to the song is uplifting and inspiring. I think if you were to incorporate this song with the several movements today it would bring a lot power and raw emotion.
    - Jack Vigneron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the emotions created from this song would be similar when listening to it in the different time periods. I also agree that there are more feelings of frustration when listening to it today as it seems so difficult for any change to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you put how wishing alluded to it being hard to obtain. I think that but also it seems unobtainable. I think you could have been more specific on the how certain parts of her song really pulled at her audiences emotions.

    ReplyDelete