Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Stasis Theory: I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free

"I Wish I Knew How to Be Free" written by Billy Taylor, was made famous by Nina Simone at the height of the civil rights movement. There was much discrimination and prejudice against blacks and other minorities and all they wanted is what Simone addresses in the song: freedom. Why did the white majority see the black minority as inferior even after their enslaved days were over? The blacks were just as human as they were, but because of the color of their skin and their ancestral past, they were treated differently. This led to much violence upon the African American community, which is something that is still being experienced today. Even though there has been much progress since the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, it seems as though there are still some people that hold the discriminatory views of the past.
This is why the Black Lives Matter movement is unfortunately needed in today's world. I believe what Simone says in her song, "Say 'em loud say 'em clear/ For the whole world to hear," goes right along with the BLM movement telling people "Say her/his name". In both scenarios, they're saying staying quiet is not helping the situation, but is almost a sign on condonation. These kinds of songs, movements, and sayings push us as individuals to wrestle with our conscience a bit on these issues. It also makes us realize what actions we're taking that supports or prevents the justice that is being sought. We should not be silent and learn to address these issues when they come about, so that others around us may not be ignorant to it. Maybe it will also cause them to think twice about their views and hopefully cause a positive change in them, then in our society.
-Kumam B. Khasar

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that this is a moving and powerful song about the racism of the time. The most powerful line in this song to me is "One life you got to do what you should," because she is saying that this is the only life they have, and they can't even do what they want with their time.
    -Devin Cowley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kumam, nice post! And I'm glad you incorporated the speaking of names! I think that, although I'm not sure you've said it outright, that action is certainly the stasis here (maybe even the evaluation of action?).

    ReplyDelete